Friday, April 10, 2009

Yes, but where does the electricity come from, Daddy?

To prevent my Mini-E from being, in actuality, a coal burning car, I have now signed up my JCP&L barn account (the barn is my garage where the wall charger will be) to use clean energy provided by Community Energy, Inc. This choice is part of the NJ CleanPower Choice Program. The clean energy choices are a little confusing in the NJ CleanPower brochure, but the bottom line for me is that I now pay an additional $.02/KWH for my two JCP&L utility accounts so that 100% of my energy usage comes from the Community Energy clean power sources. The mix I selected (despite the text of the message below) was: 50% NJ wind, 49% small scale hydro, 1% NJ Solar.

What this means in practice of course is that JCP&L is obliged (and is independently audited to ensure compliance) to purchase 100% of my electricity usage from Community Energy sources.

Here's a blurb from http://www.njcleanenergy.com/renewable-energy/programs/cleanpower-choice-program/new-jersey-cleanpower-choice-program:

"When you make the CleanPower Choice, electricity is generated from clean, renewable energy sources located in New Jersey and the mid-Atlantic region. Importantly, the New Jersey Board of Public Utilities' Office of Clean Energy verifies that renewable energy is delivered into the Mid Atlantic power pool that serves your needs. The more people who sign up for the CleanPower Choice Program, the more renewable energy sources that will be added to the energy mix. Also, each household that participates in the CleanPower Choice Program can avoid over 10,000 lbs. of CO2 emissions per year, which is equivalent to planting 1.35 acres of trees!*"

No comments: